Use a clean sponge or a soft cloth and wash the window surface with a mild soap and lukewarm water. Rinse well with clean water. Dry thoroughly with a chamois or moist cellulose sponge to prevent water spots. Do not scrub or use brushes on this product. The following cleaning agents have been found compatible with LEXAN™:
- Top Job*
- Palmolive Liquid**
*Registered Trademarks of Procter & Gamble. **Registered Trademark of Colgate Palmolive.
Repairing Hairline Scratches
Scratches and minor abrasions can be minimized by using a mild automobile polish. Test a small area with the product prior to using it on a complete window. Three products that are marketed to polish and fill scratches are:
- Johnson Paste Wax
- Novus Plastic Polish #1 & #2 (Novus, Inc., Minneapolis, MN)
- Mirror Glaze Plastic Polish (M.G. M10) (Mirror Bright Polish Co., Pasadena, CA)
Graffiti / Paint Removal
The following products can be used to remove graffiti or paint from a LEXAN™ panel:
- Butyl cellosolve
- Masking tape, adhesive tape or lint removal tools work well for lifting off old weathered paints
- To remove labels, stickers, etc., the use of kerosene, VM&P naphtha or petroleum spirits is generally effective. When the solvent will not penetrate the sticker material, apply heat (hair dryer) to soften the adhesive and promote removal.
Important Cleaning "Don't's"
- DO NOT use abrasive or highly alkaline cleaners
- Never scrape LEXAN™ with squeegees, razor blades or other sharp instruments
- Benzene, gasoline, acetone or carbon tetrachloride should never be used
- DO NOT clean LEXAN™ in hot sun or at elevated temperatures